[ns]: bug in TCP?

Dear ns-users and especially TCP experts,

I have found something in the tcp code that kind of puzzles me. Could
you please explain me the following?

In the ns source code the retransmission timer is set among ather things
each time a new ack (that acknowledges new data) is received. This is
done in the function newack(). Even if the timer was already pending, it
is reset and restarted.

In the book TCP/IP Illustrated Vol2 from R.Stevens, if you look page
846-47, the retransmission timer seems to be set only when it is not
pending any more and the reception of a new ack does not imply the
restarting of this timer (in case it is already pending).

To my understanding this implies that in the book version of TCP,
timeouts occur more often than in the ns version. Am I wrong?
Which is, of these two possibilities, the implemented version?

Thanks very much for your help

Fabienne
begin:vcard
n:LEFEVRE;Fabienne