Re: [ns] First experience with ns and nam--some basic info needed

>In a previous message I mentioned that the Greis tutorial is not where
>the NS manual says it is, but I did find it on the main web page.  Now I
>am trying out NS and NAM under Windows, having downloaded the prebuilt
>versions from the ns-build.html pages.
>
>There is a lot of detail on where to put the _source code_ files for
>compiling, but no clue as to where to put the prebuilt NS and NAM.

i would say in the ns directory, where all the .cc and .h files are. for ns. Nam
is in a separate directory usually. Maybe the problem is a tcl related. try
lauching nam and other apps from a tcl script? This is only my 2c, as I have
never ran ns on windoze and probably would get nightmares from trying...

posting to [email protected] is preferable than @mash.cs.berkeley as that last
one surely will end up not working anymore sooner or later...

So
>far I have successfully run Greis' first example--partial success in
>that it puts out an "out.nam" file then hangs up, whereas the the TCL
>script is supposed to start NAM automatically.  I have to use Ctrl-C to
>get the prompt back.  Then if I type "nam out.nam" the nam program
>starts and I get the picture in Greis' tutorial.
>It appears that the ns executable is expecting to call the nam
>executable, but can't quite find it.  I have both ns.e and the
>downloaded nam file (renamed to nam.exe) in C:\NS-2; it doesn't change
>anything to move the name file to C:\NAM.>
>I think after I get the correct information on these matters of fact, I
>can figure out the rest.  Please give me a hint here.
>
>P. S.  I am not on the mailing list.  If you think my questions can be
>answered by reviewing past mailing list archives, please tell me where
>to access them.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-- Len Miller
>*._..*.*_.***__*..*._..*._..*.*._.***._*_***_.*..*...*_*
>Dr. Leonard E. Miller
>    Wireless Communications Technologies Group
>    National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST)
>Address: 100 Bureau Drive Stop 8920, Bldg. 820, Room 445
>    Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899-8920
>Phone: 301-975-8018        Fax: 301-590-0932
>email: [email protected], [email protected]
>    [email protected]
>http://w3.antd.nist.gov/wctg/

Tarik