[ns] Realistic traffic

Out of interest, what sort of traffic do people use in their simulations ?

Do you try to flood the network, to see where problems may arise due to new
protocols, bottlenecks etc, or do you try and simulate realistic traffic to
see ho the network would perform from day to day ?

If anyone has any advice on how to use some sort of 'realistic traffic' in
simulations then please let me know. I am trying to simulate large scale
networks (~1000 nodes, possibly more if I can get more memory or use PDNS)
and am wondering what the best scenarios are.

Thanks,
Mark