[ns] Timing file transfers

Hi

I'm trying to measure the time taken for an FTP to
transfer a certain sized file.

I have read through the doucmentation, and can work
out how to measure end to end delay etc of an FTP, but
i want to be able to find out how long, exactly, it
takes to FTP a 31 meg file across a 10Mb link, but
without contraining the simulation with

$ns at 1.0 "$ftp start"
$ns at 50.0 "$ftp stop"

As this fixes the timing of the simulation

I have tried using the send() method of the FTP agent,
but that doesn't seem to work.

Any code examples would be most appreciated :))

Iain