[ns] trace help

Hi,
   I have a ns trace file from an adhoc network simulation..I want to
create plots out of it like time vs sequence number and time vs RTT of
packets  which were acked after a single transmission etc..I am using the
old trace format..I need some advice on this..
If I don`t care to trace how the nodes move, I need not write a nam
file..right? Is there any other use for a nam file for wireless?
Can I use a trace object or a flow monitor or are they relevant only for
wired links?..

I can see the packets being sent and received in the trace file
generated..I am thinking of writing perl scripts to generate the data I
want out of these scripts and then use gnuplot to do the plotting..Is
there a better/easier way and are there ready made scripts available to do
this sort of thing? If so, where can I get them?
Finally, is it better to use the old trace format or the new one..Seems to
me like the new format will take a lot of space to write out the same
data..Also, if people have scripts written for the old trace format, it
might have to be changed if I use the new trace format..Any
comments/advice on this is welcome..

Thanks a lot for your time..

Jeyandran