Re: [ns] Hierarchical addressing and mcast

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lloyd Wood" <[email protected]>
To: "Scott Michel" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2000 3:18 AM
Subject: Re: [ns] Hierarchical addressing and mcast

> > Basically, hierarchical addressing seems to be incompatible with mcast.
> > And mcast is also allergic to LANs as well. This appears to get in the
> > way of real work (like my application-level routing and forwawrding
stuff,
> > where I'd like some semblence of reality to my sims).
> >
> > - What would it take to get mcast to work with hierarchical addressing?
> >
> > - What would it take to get mcast to work with LANs?
>
>   - What would it take to get mcast to work with the wireless code?
>     Apart from rewriting all the separate C++ and OTcl routing code?

Yes, this completely confused me as well: why is all of the mcast routing
written in OTcl?

Ok, in a Panglossian world, I'd expect that one could straightforwardly
replace the scripting language with whatever one wanted and that the
scripting language is merely a way for configuring the simulation, not for
writing one.

> > PS: I'm starting the come the the conclusion that you do get extra
SIGCOMM
> >     paper points if you mention you used ns because anyone who's willing
> >     to slog and survive this fine collection of code deserves something,
like
> >     extra paper points...
>
> I thought you got the most SIGCOMM points by noting that your paper
> was rejected by SIGCOMM, making your paper available anyway, but
> refusing to make the reviewers' comments available while implying that
> the reviewers must have been smoking crack or something.

Smoking who's crack? This is not a US Navy approved activity.

> That seems to be a growing trend; I now have 'get a paper rejected by
> SIGCOMM' down as a viable long-term career goal.

That's easy. Just submit a paper to SIGCOMM. Then fling the appropriate
sticks with metal points on the end at the white robed SIGCOMM Neterati.
QED.

-scooter