[ns] [Q]how to implement backup link for reliability?

Hello!

I need to construct a network with a topology of

      1  ---  2  ---  3

                 |--  4

where only one flow is assumed in the network.
This topology is for 'reliability' project that I'm working on.
As a newbie, I'm wondering

  (1) Is it possible to construct a link with 'null' traffic?
      (so that I can forward a traffic of 2 -- 3 to 2 -- 4,
      when necessary.)

  (2) Where/which files are involved in traffic management
      of a specific node to link?
      (In this example, a node/link 2 -- 3, and a node/link 2 -- 4)

  (3) I would like to know the interaction
      between source(sink) and agent at a node.
      If someone could give me an idea based on the relevant files,
      that would be a great help.

I studied the files of queue.*, schedule.*, connector.*,
object.*, agent.* etc,  but it's not clear to me yet.
Please help a newbie to be able to start.
Any reply would be appreciated.

Greg.