[ns] Makefile problems

This is the set up I have:

The base code of ns files in a directory - /basecode/ns-2.1b6/
I copied a couple of files from the basecode and copied it to my local
directory
Copied Makefile, Makefile.in, ping.h. ping.cc

I want to change ping.cc, build it and then link that with the rest of the
files in the basecode and build a new ns in my local directory.

Is there an easy way to modify my Makefile to do the above  ?
And also what is the diff. between Makefile and Makefile.in ? Which one am i
supposed to modify ?

thanks in advance for guiding this newbie..

ns_user