Re: [ns] [Q]how to implement backup link for reliability?

It sounds like to me that you want to have traffic to switch from one route
to another.  I think you can do this by having a link failure occur on the
link 2-3 which will force the traffic to 2-4.  I also think you may need
another link 4-3.  You can read about link failures in the ns tutorial.

http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/tutorial/nsscript3.html

I hope this helps,

- John