Re: [ns] NS segfault on RH7.0

>I am having a seg fault with NS (no matter what simulation script I run)
>on a RedHat7.0 system, Linux-2.4 kernel. I have tried the latest otcl
>snapshot and the latest tclcl snapshot and the latest ns snapshot (and
>all permutations of the release versions of these packages). The problem
>persists. The problem is not present with the same packages on older
>linux machines.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

I'm running ns-2.1b7 on that platform successfully.  (It passes the
validation tests and certainly doesn't segfault.)

There were some interactions between ns and tclcl and tcltk-8.3 and
gcc-2.96 that were fixed shortly before the 2.1b7 release (see the
mailing list for details).  I'd check: 1) are you sure you don't have
an old otcl/tclcl somewhere that's being picked up by mistake, 2) did
you update ns, too...

(TclTk-8.3 actually modifies the Tcl text in place when executing it.
Older ns's will segfault becauase gcc-2.96 puts the text in read-only
memory.)

   -John Heidemann