Re: [ns] Problems with LAN topology

>Hello,
>
>I am doing some research on energy efficient wireless computing and I need a
>certain setup in NS. I had no problem getting a simple duplex-link setup to
>my liking but I find the LAN topology a bit confusing. This is what I want:
>a LAN setup with two nodes (I got that far). I however want to be able to
>specify what the delay is on the medium. With make-lan this is done in a way
>that I do not want: you can specify the delay before the signal reaches the
>medium. But I want the LAN to be sort of half-duplex. So there can be a lot
>of data in transit, but only in one direction. While data from node 0 to 1
>is on the medium (with the delay specified by me), node 1 can not send to
>node 0. I think with make-lan the medium is indeed exclusive to one sender
>at a time but I am unable to specify the delay.

make-lan only calls new-lan; defined in tcl/lan/vlan.tcl; it is intended to
model shared media, and if you are using it with Mac/802_3 that's what you would
get, a simulation of IEEE 802.3 Ethernet. Yes you do specify a delay value, that
value is introduced at the LL layer. The LAN will always be "sort of
half-duplex" it is shared media, and if you ever get to be able to control the
delay on a shared media, I would like to know!

>I hope somebody understood what I am trying to say and can help me.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Lewie Donckers
>
>-- [email protected]
>-- Computer Science student at the University of Twente, the Netherlands

Tarik