Re: [ns] Please help me regarding the installation of ns

>Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:49:33 -0800 (PST)
>ns-allinone version. We used the command ./install in
>the directory in which we want to install. Though we
>didn't get any error we are doubtful that it didn't
>get installed. The ../../ns command for testing the
>tcl scripts didn't work. The installation gave a
>message that the ns is succuessfully installed but
>coming to the validation part by using the command in
>README file it is giving error like this
>
>Error loading the shared libraries:libtk8.3 cannot
>open the shared libraries.

looks like something I have already seen today...
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:52:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Haobo Yu <[email protected]>
To: Paavan <[email protected]>
cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [ns] ns install problem on Linux6.2-shared lib

on csh/tcsh, do:

setenv LD... ...

on sh/bash, do:

export LD..=...

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Paavan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to install ns2 on Linux 6.2 and i'm getting the following
> problem.  I looked up http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html#general
> and found the following solution.  but i don't know how exactly to apply
> it.  I've set the environment library path using:
>
> %set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path of library>
>
> But this doesn't work.
> Problem: Things built OK but don't run because of missing shared libraries
> (for example, you get the message "can't load library 'libtk8.3.so'" or
> "fatal: libtk8.3.so: can't open file: errno=2" [from Solaris]) or
> "libotcl.so can not open shared object file: No such file or directory".
> Solution: Many systems require that you do something special when
> installing new shared libraries. Shared-library loading is
> system-dependent, so consult the man page for ld(1) on your system. On many
> systems the program ``ldd'' can be used to diagnose shared-libary problems.
> A couple of hints: many systems require that you set the environment
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify where to look for shared libraries. Other
> systems require that you run ldconfig when using new libraries
>
> How 2 implement ld or ldd ?
> Thanks for help.
>
> Paavan.

> We think that it is not properly installed. We are
>working in Linux systems. Is it that it is to be
>installed in the root directory only or any where we
>can install it using the command given in the readme
>file. So please help regarding installing the ns
>simulator in my computer system so that I can easily
>use the ns. Also please tell me where I have to run my
>tcl scripts. Is it under ns-2.1b7 directory or
>somewhere else. Please help me regarding the above
>matter.

now this: before asking for help on this list it would be nice (and prove
helpful) if you went and dug the archives. I'm pretty sure this question has
been asked before today, just in case the archives for today are not available.

Tarik