Re: [ns] Problem in creating gifs from Nam Dump/ppms

>I managed to have the utilities installed.xwdppm is
>now renamed as xwdpnm in the distribution.I am using
>this program to create a ppm file. But ppmtogif is
>giving error. I am using the script just as given in
>manual
>
>for i in *.xwd; do
>xwdtopnm <$i |
>ppmtogif -interlace -transparent\222#e5e5e5\222
>>\221basename $i .xwd\221.gif;
>done
>gifmerge -l0 -2 -229,229,229 *.gif >movie.gif
>
>And following is what it shows
>
>xwdtopnm: writing PPM file
>usage:  ppmtogif [-interlace] [-sort] [-map mapfile]
>[-transparent color] [ppmfile]
>

>All I can think of is either ppm is not getting
>created properly or there is a version mismatch of
>ppmtogif with what is given in the script. What else
>might be the problem?

Most Unix programs show a usage line if you invoke them improperly, as
ppmtogif is doing here.  I suggest you read the ppmtogif man page and
try it on its own (outside the script), possibly with fewer arguments,
until you can get it to work there.  Then try putting it in the
script.

(It looks like what you're doing is basically right, but you're making
some kind of typo in running ppmtogif.)

   -John Heidemann