Re: [ns] satellite+wired simulation

>On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>>
>> One way around this problem is to implement support for direct links
>> between ground terminals (and you can use lat-long and curvature to
>> determine link lengths - voila, direct fibre links). And since you
>> have 'proper' terrestrial links in the satellite code, it works
>> without having to bite the bullet and fix interoperability with other
>> code.
>>
>I agree with Lloyd's proposal.  The wired and wireless worlds do not play
>well together in ns.

I might not have anything to do with satellite or wireless stuff in NS, but I do
agree with that sentence. My point of vue is that if we are going to play with
low level stuff, I mean below L3 (e.g. LL, MAC, Phy, Channel), we ought to
provide for "real" interfaces and links. LL + MAC should just be seen as an
interface and phy + channel as link; and nodes should suport heterogenous
interfaces. The current model allows nodes to be either wired or wireless, does
not allow a node to have different interfaces and is just plain UGLY (yuk-yuk)
in my opinion.

I would like to know your opinion on that. Lloyd?

 For ad-hoc wireless, there is an example in
>tcl/ex/wired-cum-wireless-sim.tcl  that shows how to mix wired and
>wireless topologies.  It relies on a special node called the "base
>station" that can support stacks in both realms.  We never implemented the
>same for satellite but one could do so.  However, I think that Lloyd's
>suggestion will be less work.
>
>Tom

-Tarik