[ns] 802.11 versus extending range in ad-hoc networks

Hi all,

I am trying to use ranges larger than 250m in ad-hoc networks, but still
using 802.11 as the MAC layer.
I realized that by changing RXThresh_ to a specific value in my TCl script I
can get different ranges. Also, by changing the RANGE variable in setdest.cc
I can generate movement files aware of the new range.
I used Wei's threshold.cc to find the appropriate value for RXThresh for the
range I wanted in my tworayground propagation model.

However, looking at the trace file for a simple example, where 2 nodes that
don't move try to communicate with each other, I concluded that somehow the
MAC802.11 layer is dropping all my packets, when I exceed 1500m. I mean,
1499.99m seeems to be the maximum range I can use.
The main reason for the dropping (observed in the trace files with mactrace
ON) seems to be STA, which stands for DROP_MAC_INVALID_STATE.

Well, I would like to simulate ranges greater than 1500m . So,if anybody
knows how to overcome this problem, I will highly appreciate. I must say
that it looks like I have to change some default parameters in the
mac-802_11.cc or .h , but I don't know which ones.

Thanks,
Leo from Naval Postgraduate School