Re: [ns] 802.11 versus extending range in ad-hoc networks

Hi,

It almost sounds like it could have something to do with the propagation
delay. When you go to 1500 m, you get a one way propagation delay of 5 us
(speed of light 3*10^8 m/s), thus an RTT of 10 us. By default, a SIFS is
10 us. Because of this, all your RTS frames will "time out" before you get
the CTS back, so you won't be able to send any data.

I'm not 100% sure, but this is probably the cause of your
problems. So... I suppose one way of increasing the range to more than
1500 m would be by tweaking with the SIFS and related stuff, but I'm not
really sure it would be good to do that... Might mess up something else...

/Anders