[ns] Re: Having problems compiling cmu exten to ns

Dear Mr. McCann,

Thank you for your quick reply-- I really appreciate you helping me out
despite the fact that you developed on ns way back in 1999!  Anyhow, I
followed your advice and downloaded the newest version of the ns-allinone,
which is 2.1b7a

Well, I've run into a few snags.  Firstly, I followed the directions in the
ns extensions (located under cmu-docs/ns-cmu.ps).  It tells me to copy the
ns-2.1b7a configure file to the ns extension's ns-src directory:

cd ns-src
cp ../ns-2.1b7a/configure configure-2
sh configure-2

After running the above mentioned command, I got some errors saying that sed
could not find some files... so I did the following:

sh configure-2 --srcdir=../ns-2.1b7a

That got rid of the sed errors, but then I got error messages saying that it
could not create directories; upon doing a grep on configure-2, I added the
following parameter in front of the call to mkdir in configure-2.

mkdir -p ....

So, finally, the configure went through without a hitch.  But now, I ran
"make depend" and I immediately get into the following error:

make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target 'classifier-virtual.cc'

I'm truely stuck now.  Perhaps, the haphazard changes I made to configure-2
created a faulty makefile.  But, I really don't know what to do at this
point.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, Mr. McCann.

BTW, the changes you recommend in the Makefile were, in fact, by default
already commented out.  At this point, I'm wondering if it is worth it to go
through all this trouble in getting the ns extensions simulator to work.  Is
it the best one out there?  Perhaps you could recommend another?  =)

Sincerely yours,

Wooighee
[email protected]