Re: [ns] Packet size

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Sridharan K Iyer wrote:

>   If I set the packetSize_ for a TCP packet to, say, 1000 bytes, I am
> actually specifying the *data* to be 1000 bytes.  What I expect is that a
> TCP header of 40 bytes

TCP header of 20 bytes.
IP header of 20 bytes.

ignoring options on both.

> must be added to this when the packet is passed
> down.  And further, this extra header size *must* have an effect on the
> tx-time of the packet.  But, when I observe the traces, I do not see
> the header overhead.

you're not using FullTcp.

>   Am I missing something here?  Where is the header size appended to the
> packet in the code?

Read the thread starting from 'Measure TCP throughput accurately' on
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/ns/

(I went and dug that and the end-to-end delay awk script out of the
 archives one last time, and put links to them in.)

L.