[ns] Finding actual/optimal paths

Hi ns-users,

   I am a new ns user. I have started working on a project which involves
   comparison of various ad-hoc routing protocols using s-2. I am not able
   to understand how one can find the optimal path and the actual path in
   terms of the number of hops from the wireless trace.

   From the ns archives, I understand that this is possible. This is the
   message in the archive which helped me.

   http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/archive/ns-users/webarch/2000/msg03948.html

   I would like to know how the following was inferred w.r.t the message
in the archive:

   >from above info we can see the shortest path(optimal hop count) is 4,
   >but actually the hop count is 3, better than the shortest path

   If someone could help me understand how I can find the optimal and
 actual path from the trace, I would be extremely greatful.

   Thanks