Re: [ns] Accuracy of wireless simulation with nodes sending data athigh rate.

This particular behavior could be in part due to the hidden terminal
problem that RTS/CTS should help with.

As (a,b) get farther from (e,f).  They cannot hear each other and can
operate at the same time.  However (c,d) can hear both of these and
therefore defer transmissions.  Therefore they will not have an equal
share of the media.

This would be one explanation.  Not sure if there are other factors
contributing to your problem.

> I'm a PhD student interested in wireless ad-hoc networks, and I have
> done some simulation whith ns2.
> But the results I got seems quite strange to me, and as I do not have
> any real 802.11 card, I have no way to be sure these results are
> accurate. (considering what I got, I hope they are not, or that I have
> done some mistake )
>
> Could someone give me some advice on the following :
>
> I simulated 3 pair of nodes (a,b),(c,d) and (e,f).
>
> - a is sending data to b, c to d and e to f.
> - Each sender try to send as much data as possible (using CBR).
> - I haven't done any modification to ns-allinone 2.1b7a which I use
> - The following happens whatever wireless routing protocol I use
> - I use the two-ray ground reflection radio propagation model
> - The problem appears only if I use most of the bandwith
>
> During the simulation, the two nodes of a pair stay very close to the
> each other. (5 length units)
> At the beginning of the simulation, the 3 pairs are very close.
>
> One pair will stay at it's starting position, one will go away at a
> speed s, and the third will go away in the same direction at a speed 2s.
>
> we obtain something like this, the distance between each pair increasing
> slowly.
> (a)->(b)                              (c)->(d)
> (e)->(f)
>
> At the beginning, as all nodes are close, the three data streams are
> fairly sharing the available bandwith.
>
> We would have expected that at some point, each pair would have (more or
> less suddently) gain access to the full bandwith, as the interferences
> with the others pairs get lower and lower.
> In the end, it effectively happens, but the problem is that there is an
> intermediate state where the sender of the central pair cannot send data
> to it's receiver anymore ! (c cannot send to d, which is only 5 length
> units away !)
>
> [as I wasn't sure it is permited to attach pictures to mails on this
> mailing list, here is a link to a small graph :
> http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~ddhoutau/images/ns_pb.gif ]
>
> this graph show the data rate for each stream (in bit per second),
> depending on time (in second).
> Moreover, the *problem* is happening when the distance between the pairs
> is between 1 and 2 times the maximum transmission range of a node !
> (after 5 seconds, the central pair is out of the direct transmission
> range of the others pairs (but of course is not yet out of their
> interference range))
>
> The red curve show what happens to the central pair (c)->(d) ... And
> there I don't known what to do ....
>
> I suspect a problem with some "not realy independant" random behavior of
> my senders.
> But I don't know where I should look ....

Ratish J. Punnoose                         Tel  : (412)-268-7648 (W)
Doctoral Student                           Fax  : (412)-268-6468
Electrical and Computer Engr.              [email protected]
Carnegie Mellon Univ.