Re: [ns] rookie's question

> Because I use the ns-2 under the win2000 environment, the nam does not work
what's the error message you got then?

> under win2000,so I have to use ns-2 in command line mode. Can you tell how
I don't see what's the relationship between "nam doesn't work" and
"using ns from command line".

> to start the ns-2 at the beginning?
ns <your tcl script>

> Thing's a little bit confusing on win2000, When I input the command "set ns
> [new Simulator]" directly at the beginning of starting tcl, system returns
> "invalid command name "new"". Then I tried to find the ns.exe on my disks,
> but I can't find any. I download prebuilt 32bit ns.exe to ns folder, then
> run ns.exe before inputting "set ns [new Simulator]", it seems work. but I
of course you have to run ns.exe to enter the intepreter mode.

> got this output:
>
> % set ns [new Simulator]
> invalid command name "new"
> % ns.exe
> % set ns [new Simulator]
> _o4
> % set nf [open out.nam w]
> filebfeec8
> % $ns namtrace-all $nf
> filebfeec8
> % proc finish {} {
>         global ns nf
>         $ns flush-trace
>         close $nf
>         exec nam out.nam &
>         exit 0
> }
> % $ns at 5.0 "finish"
> 1
> % $ns run
> % Cannot connect to existing nam instance. Starting a new one...
> ns example1.tcl
> couldn't read file "example1.tcl": no such file or directory
> child process exited abnormally
> %
that error message means you don't have file example1.tcl
in the same directory you execute ns.

I suggest you might want to consider reading more ns document
(manual/tutorial/workshop slides) from ns webpage
before going further.

Kun-chan Lan