Re: [ns] ns scalability

>Has there been any work on speeding up ns for multicast?  It seems to be exceptionally slow for multicast compared to unicasting which is probably due to how packets are copied at each node for multicasting.  If anyone has done any work on this, please let me know as I am extremely interested.  I've had exactly the opposite problem, I am running out of CPU speed far faster than I am running out of memory.

I agree that this could be a problem, but I'm not sure we have a good
example scenario that illustrates it.  If you have one in mind
(ideally that works with the basic 2.1b8a release) can you send us a
copy?

Several of the abstractions (centralized multicast, etc.) that Polly
Huang looked at dealt with multicast.  I don't know what your scenario
is, but they should help both memory and CPU quite a bit.  Have you
looked at them?

   -John Heidemann