[ns] adding a new protocol

hullo all,
this is in cont. to my problem of trying to add a new
protocol.i created the .cc and .h files and changed
the following files:
1.packet.h
2.ns-packet.tcl
3.ns-default.tcl
4.added my .o file reference to the Makefile
i ran a make depend and then a make.
however i cont. to get this bug:
bash-2.03$ ./bin/ns ./ns-2.1b8a/DG_Agent.tcl
warning: no class variable Agent/Ping::interval_

        see tcl-object.tcl in tclcl for info about
this warning.

can't read "debug_": no such variable
    (Object set line 1)
    invoked from within
"Classifier/Port set debug_"
    invoked from within
"catch "$c set $var" val"
    (procedure "_o36" line 1)
    (SplitObject unknown line 1)
    invoked from within
"$agent target [[$self node] entry]"
    (procedure "_o11" line 2)
    (RtModule attach line 2)
    invoked from within
"$m attach $agent $port"
    (procedure "_o10" line 4)
    (Node add-target line 4)
    invoked from within
"$self add-target $agent $port"
    (procedure "_o10" line 15)
    (Node attach line 15)
    invoked from within
"$node attach $agent"
    (procedure "_o3" line 2)
    (Simulator attach-agent line 2)
    invoked from within
"$ns attach-agent $n0 $dgAgent1"
    (file "./ns-2.1b8a/DG_Agent.tcl" line 38)
bash-2.03$
then i tried adding my code to the ping.cc and ping.h.
then when i tried running my tcl script it worked.thus
i concluded that probably my object code for the agent
is not getting incorporated properly.could someone
comment on this?do i just have to add a refernece to
my .o file in Makefile?is that enough or do i have to
add it in Makefile.in as well?
thanks in advance,
bindu