Student Travel Grant
ns tutorial 2002 is pleased to announce its Student Travel Grant Program.
The purpose of the program is to encourage graduate student participation at
the tutorial by partially funding the travel costs of students
who would otherwise be unable to attend.
ns tutorial 2002 thanks NSf funding the program.
Who Should Apply:
Applications are accepted from students at degree granting institutions
In most cases, no more than one student
will be funded from each school.
What is Covered:
The amount of support provided to each student is intended to
cover the student's travel (economy airfare),
food and lodging for two nights.
The breakdown of costs will differ based on the locations of the students.
The recipients of the travel grants will be decided by a committee including:
The committee gives grants according to criterias such as:
- John Heidemann,
- Christos Papadopoulos,
- Padma Haldar
- evidence of a serious interest in network research,
- common use of ns in research,
- other factors like academic background, etc.
How to Apply:
An application for a travel grant will consist of
a letter from the student and a recommendation
letter from the student's adviser.
The letter from the student should
In addition, the student's
adviser should send a letter of recommendation to the committee,
- indicate why the student believes he or she would benefit from
attending the ns tutorial 2002,
- contain a brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date,
- have the student's vita attached, including relevant coursework and grades.
Send application and recommendation letters by e-mail to
Padmaparna Haldar firstname.lastname@example.org in
ASCII (highly preferable), Postscript or PDF format ONLY.
Use the same e-mail address also for questions
on the ns tutorial student travel grant program.
- confirming that the student is a Ph.D. candidate in good standing,
- indicating why the adviser believes the student would benefit from attending the ns tutorial,
- giving the advisor's opinion about the strengths and potential contributions of the student.
A deadline of Friday, Oct 25, 2002 has been
set for the receipt of applications,
both for the letter of the student and of the adviser.
The targeted notification date is Nov 1, 2002.
Recipients will be required to accept the grant by Nov 8, 2002,
so that alternates can be notified in the event that a recipient declines.
The early notification will assist in finding cheaper airline tickets.
Thu Oct 3 13:10:10 PDT 2002
Mail any comments, suggestions to Xuan Chen