Re: cannot get otcl to compile

   Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 19:02:34 -0700
   From: [email protected] (Dennis Connors - Intern)
   Cc: [email protected]

   I have a question about otcl.  I am trying to get ns-2.0 up and running.
   I have first obtained otcl-0.96 but I cannot get it to install.

   Does OTcl work with Tcl 7.6?  I follow the instructions in the README file
   to install OTcl-0.96 and it can't seem to find the -ltcl and -ltk libraries
   even though the path is set correctly.  The folowing is the output when
   "make" is executed.

   oberon{connors}#45: make
   rm -f libotcl.so
   gcc -o owish  -g -O -I. -I/home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/tcl7.6/generic -I/home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/tk4.2/include -I/usr/openwin/include otkAppInit.c \
   -L. -lotcl -L/home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/tk4.2/lib/ -ltk -L/home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/tcl7.6/lib/ -ltcl -L/usr/openwin/lib -lX11 -ldl \
   -lsocket -lnsl -lm
   ld: fatal: library -ltk: not found
   ld: fatal: library -ltcl: not found
   ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to owish
   make: *** [owish] Error 1

I just checked out your sim-tools directory.   You don't seem to have
a `lib' directory in there.  I would create it and then put everything
in there to make life easier.  Also, if you look in say, tcl7.6/lib
there is no libtcl.a.  I would link libtcl7.6.a to libtcl.a

In my experience, these things need to be tweaked a bit.

I would strongly encourage you just set up complete bin/lib/include
directorys under sim-tools and just install everything there.

When you get thing running, you will probably need to set the
environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /blah/blah/.../sim-tools/lib.

-Dante