about ns-2

> > I'm not sure what kind of ATM simulation Dapeng is attempting to do, but
> > if ATM is being treated as essentially a MAC layer, I don't see why
> > you can't add it to ns-2. Though I had to admit it, I wrote some
> > segmentation and reassembly agents for my own version of ns-1. There was
> > no ATM signalling included since the MAC I was simulating was just using
> > the cellification of ATM. It would be a moderate amount of work to do
> > an ATM MAC, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done.
> >
> >       Kathie Nichols
> >

> Yes, I'd agree with Kathie.  If the intention is to look primarily at the
> ATM layer (with less emphasis on IP), there are some other simulators,
> (e.g. ftp://isdn.ncsl.nist.gov/atm-sim/ or
> http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~bmah/Software/Insane/).
>
> - K

I did have NIST ATM Network Simulator.  It's a powerful simulation for
ATM network.  But its function in simulating TCP/IP traffic is very
limited compared with ns-1 and ns-2.

What I'm concerned with is a hybrid IP/ATM networks since the
integration of IP router and ATM switches is a very important research
area right now.  I'm not sure if ns-2 developers have  interest in
adding ATM stuff to it so that it can be more powerful and useful.

Dapeng