Re: Simulation of typical LAN over NS-2

> Dear NS-USERS
>
> I am interested in simulating a typical LAN consisting of a number of
> stations, switches and Repeater Hubs over NS and I need all kind of
> help in this regard. I need to know to what extent NS can simulate a LAN?
> How close to reality are the results? How to generate appropriate input
> files? Sample Input files(tcl) would be a big help.

Hi Muhammad,

	for lans in NS check out ns-2/tcl/lan dir,
	currently there 2 kinds of lans there:
	i) ns-mlink: this simulates a lan on the IP level, i.e. does not
	model MAC layers, hubs, switches ... etc
	ii) ns-lan and ns-mac: model data link protocols for media access
	... etc.

	check out ns-lan.tcl and ns-mac.tcl,

for examples, they are under ns-2/tcl/ex/ , there's a test for the 2nd
type of lan in mac-test.tcl,

also you may want to consult with the ns documentation and man pages:
http://www-mash.CS.Berkeley.EDU/ns/ [there's a bullet for ducumentation]

Regards,
-A