	From: [email protected]
	Sent: Mon 11/26/2001 10:32 AM
	To: #CHEONG IOK LEONG#
	Subject: Re: [ns] Rq: the ns problem

	Welcome to the ns-users mailing list!

	We automatically send this message to every new person who sends
mail
	to the list.  You should only receive it once.  My apologies if
the
	program contacts you twice, perhaps because you have multiple
e-mail
	addresses or send mail from multiple machines.

	If you are an experienced ns-user who simply has not posted
since we
	started using this responder, our apologies for inconveniencing
you
	with this message.  This message is intended to help inform
users and
	cut down on redundant posts, which benefits everyone.

	Please look at the attached list of ns Frequently Asked
Questions.
	If it answers your question, great!  You're done.
	If not, please RE-SEND your original message to
[email protected].
	A copy of your original message is included below for reference.
You will NOT have to do re-send your message every time you post, only
	the FIRST time you send from a new account.  The goal is to
quickly
	help new users find the FAQ (hopefully answering their
question).

	Thanks,
	   -John Heidemann

	            The Network Simulator ns-2: Frequently Asked
Questions

	   (This FAQ is also on the web at
	   http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-faq.html.)

	     * _Where do I get ns?_

	       From the ns web site at
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns.html and
	       the download page
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html.

	     * _What platforms does ns run on and what kind of hardware
do I
	       need?_

	       Please see "where to start" on the building ns web page:
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html#start.

	     * _What should I do if I have trouble
downloading/extracting ns?_

	       This question is answered in detail at
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html#downloading.
* _What should I do if I encounter problems building ns?_

	       Check:
	         1. the README that comes in the distribution (very
brief),
	         2. the "installation problems, bug fixes and help" web
page
	            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html,
	         3. the archives of the ns-users mailing list
	            http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html,
	         4. post a bug report (see below)
	            http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

	     * _What do I do after I successfully build ns?_

	          + Put the path to your ns executable into your PATH
environment
	          + Put the path to your otcl into your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
	            environment
	          + Put the path to your tcl library into your
TCL_LIBRARY
	            environment

	     * _Where can I find documentation for ns?_

	       All documentation is linked from the main ns web page
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/. Documentation includes a
tutorial
	       (originally from Marc Greis) and a reference manual (ns
notes and
	       documentation).

	     * _Words, words, words... that documentation is nice, but
where are
	       some sample scripts I can start from?_

	       Many sample scripts can be found in the ns distribution
in
	       ~ns-2/tcl/ex and ~ns-2/tcl/test.

	     * _What protocols does ns support?_

	       A lot! Almost all variants of TCP, several forms of
multicast,
	       wired networking, several ad hoc routing protocols and
propagation
	       models (but not cellular phones), data diffusion,
satellite, and
	       other stuff. See the documentation (described above) for
details,
	       or download ns and look.

	     * _How do I know that ns correctly implements these
protocols?_

	       Ns has validation tests that cover many protocols, see
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-tests.html. However,
ultimately
	       users are responsible for verifying that ns is accurate
for their
	       purposes---since we cannot foresee all the ways ns may be
used, we
	       cannot test all cases with all inputs.

	     * _Are there any contributed/additional protocols not in
the main
	       distribution?_

	       Yes, please see the contributed code web page
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-contributed.html. The
mailing list
	       archives can also be helpful (see below).

	     * _How should I get started doing something (like
implementing a new
	       protocol or trying an experiment)?_

	       We recommend that you look through the tutorial (see
	       documentation, above), then start with an example program
that is
	       most similar to yours (in the tutorial, or in tcl/ex or
tcl/test
	       in the distribution), and then start changing things.

	     * _What should I do to compile ns to reflect my changes if
I've
	       modified some .cc or .h files?_

	       go to ns directory and run "make" or "make depend; make"

	     * _How do I subscribe to the ns-users mailing list? How do
I search
	       old list archives? I can't take any more---how do I get
off this
	       list?_

	       To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. The list
archive is at
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

	     * _What if I have a question that's not answered here?_

	       If you've checked the installation problems and bug fixes
web page
	       (http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-problems.html) and
there's no
	       answer to your question, you may want to file a bug
report or post
	       a question to the ns-user's mailing list.

	       First, you should check the archive of the list at
	       http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html. Your question
may
	       already be answered there.

	       If not, you can post a bug report using the web form at
	       http://www.isi.edu/cgi-bin/nsnam/reportbug.cgi.

	       If your question is NOT about ns implementation bugs, you
may wish
	       to post to the list. First you should subscribe.
Subscription
	       instructions are at
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-lists.html.

	       When posting bug reports, please _always_ include
information
	       including at least (the bug report form includes spaces
for
	       these):
	          + what version of ns you're using,
	          + what operating system you're running on (not just
Linux or
	            Solaris, but RedHat version 7.0 or Solaris
2.4---send us the
	            output of "uname -a"),
	          + what specific behavior you see (if ns doesn't
compile, what's
	            the specific error; if TCP does something strange,
what
	            exactly did it do [send a pointer to a packet
trace]),
	          + what behavior you expected to see (if ns doesn't
compile this
	            is obvious, but if TCP does something strange, why
is it
	            strange, where is the TCP spec violated?),
	          + pointers to your script detailed output files,
	          + a statement that "yes, I've read the FAQ,
ns-problems page,
	            and manual and I couldn't find the answer there" (or
	            statement about why you didn't do that yet :-)

	       A reminder about mailing list etiquette:
	          + Please check the web pages and list archives before
posting
	            your question.
	          + Please keep the body of your post to simple ASCII,
not HTML.
	          + Please do _not_ send large attachments (if what you
have is
	            bigger than a few kilobytes, put it on a web page
and send a
	            URL)
	          + Before posting a question like "did people see my
post" or
	            "the list seems down", please check the archives
(you can
	            answer this question more accurately by checking
yourself
	            rather than asking).
	          + Please don't post subscribe/unsubscribe requests
directly to
	            the list, send them to [email protected] (see the
web page
	            mentioned above for details).