colours in nams

Hi everyone,

This is a really simple question that I am having trouble with in nams.

I would like to make certain nodes of a different colour from the rest
and I would like to do the same thing with links.  I was wondering how
to do this,  I have tried with the following commands in the nam script
file:

ecolor $n1 $n2 green	# to make the link between n1 and n2 green
ncolor $n1 red		# to make the node n1 red

However none of these colours appear, all the nodes and links are in
black.
I would appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Judith Mathewson