Re: Q: is more than 127 agents at one node possible?

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Igor V. Alekseev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a new NS user and I ran into the following problem:
>
> I need to simulate large number of concurrent TCP connections. I tried creating
> the topology like this:
>
> 1000 nodes ---- Router link Router ---- 1000 nodes, each node has one TCP
> connection to one peer
>
> In this case the machine I am using tends to dump core, without any complaints,
> with the core size equal to all the available memory.
>
> I tried changing the topology like this:
>
> 1000 nodes ---- Router link Router ---- node #1001, each node has a TCP
> connection to node 1001,  but I cannot make more than 127 agents to get attached
> to one node.
>
> Is there a way out of this? Perhaps some command to expand the port address
> space, equivalent to "Node expandaddr" ?

you could use the ns primitive expand-port-field-bits <\#bits for portid>.
Please refer chapter 14 (The revised addressing structure in ns) of nsDoc
(at:http://www-mash.CS.Berkeley.EDU/ns/ns-documentation.html)
for detailed info on address issues.

--Padma.

> TIA,
>
> Igor V. Alekseev
> Yaroslavl State University Internet Centre

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar
ISI/USC.
310.822.1511 #352