Why NS?

Hello,

I'm trying to evaluate possible candidates for undergraduate laboratory
courses on computer networks.

I have done preliminary tests to more or less 30 different simulators
which most of them haven't passed because even at a so early stage they
were not fulfilling some of our key requirements; these are the ones *not*
discarded until the moment:

Ptolemy/TCPSim    NS    x-kernel/x-sim    Entrapid     COMNET-III    OPNET

As a deeper look is required at the current stage, I contacted first some
people of this mailing list, individually. Their comments have been of an
invaluable help, so I thought in mailing these questions to anyone in
the list who want to share his/her experience with us:

1. If you ever had to choose between several network simulators and at the
   end you selected NS, what led to that decission?

2. If you know other simulators, what differences do you know between
   them?

Thanks in advance,

/FCD/