Re: NS-2 for parallel computer ????

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:57:25 +0200, Vincenzo Mazzota wrote:
>Hi to everybody,
>
>I would like to know if a version of NS-2 exists for parallel computer,
>I am now effecting simulations of optic nets on a sunw,ultra-1 with
>processor sparc but we would like to have used since September a
>parallel computer for the precision a silicon graphics SGI Origin 2000
>Server with 64 MIPSs R10000 processorses (each one with 4 MB of cache),
>and 8 Gbs of main memory.(http://www.sgi.com/)
>

>Then the question is: Does a version of NS-2 exist able to exploit the
>computers parallel as this type?
>Waiting your news....

There is not currently a publicly available parallel version of ns-2.
(Although some folks have been working on one.)

Our experience has been that often memory is the primarly limiting
factor in large simulations, not CPU speed, so you might get benefit
from running on your well equipped Origin anyway.  (See also the
"debugging tips" web page, and the "Scale" chapter of nN&D for other
approaches to conserve memory/increase sim size.)

If you want lots of variations/repetitions of a single simulation,
running multiple independent simulations on a network of workstations
works *very* well.  (If anyone's used Condor or something similar for
this, let me know.)

   -John Heidemann