Q about install ns

I got a make error in installing ns.

In config.h line 268 they defined the prototype of snprintf, it is conflict
with the same definition in /usr/include/stdio.h.
My Q is: why is it needed to redefine snprintf in another form here?
I commented this line, will this cause any further problem later?
thanks,
yan

I copy the definition in config.h as follows:

// Declare our implementation of snprintf() so that ns etc. can use it.
#ifndef HAVE_SNPRINTF
#if defined(__cplusplus)
extern "C" {
#endif
//      extern int snprintf(char *buf, int size, const char *fmt, ...);
#if defined(__cplusplus)
}
#endif
#endif