nam trouble

I'm having some trouble getting nam up and running, and was wondering if
anyone has had similar problems, or knows of a workaround.

First off, I'm running Debian Linux 2.x  on a Pentium III.

If i compile nam 1.0a7, or the nam-src-current release, running it dumps
about
~ 6900 lines of tcl source to stdout, then quits.

if i run nam release 1.0a4 (as included in ns-allinone2.1b3)
running nam w/o any arguments just prints a usage and exits...

if i run ns example1a.tcl (where example1a.tcl) is a small file i got from
marc greis' tutorial, that creats 2 nodes, establishes a duplex link
between them, and then fires off nam1.0a4, i get the error:

nam: unknown event at offset 21 in `out.nam'
nam: `V -t * -v 1.0b6 -a 0
'

where 'V -t * -v 1.0b6 -a 0' is the first line of the file out.nam

being very new to ns and nam, i'm wondering if anyone knows at all what
this means, or has had similar trouble getting nam up and running?

thanks,
alex