question about debugging ns

Hi all,
    I'd read the ns documentation on debugging ns...(I'd never use gdb
before) and tried to configure it with --enable-debug and
--with-tcldebug , but when i start a script with a line of : debug 1,
there is an message saying debug mode was on configure...

what i'd done is :
in ns-2.1b5 directory:
./configure --enable-debug --with-tcldebug=<path to tcl-debug>

is there something wrong in what i had done...?
and where is the apppropriate place to put the "debug 1" in the script?

about c++ level debugging in ns-manual, there is a few line macro for
gdb to see what happen in tcl subroutines:

define pargvc
 set $i=0
while $i < argc
    p argv[$i]
..
end

I'm not sure how to implement this few line in gdb.

Thank you.
Regards
Tan Su Wei