Re: [ns] Hoe[] idea

> does any know Hoe[] idea of evaluating ssthresh and fast
> retransmit phase algorithm have been implemented in current ns
> version?

The fast retransmit phase is implemented as "NewReno".

As for ssthresh estimation, it is implemented (if setting the
"newreno_changes" variable, anyway).  Well, sort of implemented
anyway.  The Hoe paper is not particularly verbose on the actual
algorithm, so I just added something simple long ago (and I see that
it has survived).

IMHO, investigating bandwidth estimators such as the Hoe proposal is
better done in real networks.  For instance, when I added this
mechanism to ns I got some pretty good results.  But, when these
mechanisms were evaluated "in the wild" the mechanism didn't work so
well (see On Estimating End-to-End Network Path Properties,
Allman/Paxson, SIGCOMM '99
http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/papers/estimation.ps).

allman

---