[ns] question on TwoStateErrorModel

hi all,
  can somebody explain to me how the two-state errormodel determines its
dwell time in a state? i instantiated an error model with exponential random
variables. from my simulations and from reading the code, it appears the
dwell time seems to be exponential w.r.t number of packets received, not
w.r.t simulation time i.e., if (and only if) a packet arrives at the
errormodel, it decrements remainLen_ by PktLength() and changes state if
remainLen_ goes below zero. this means the errormodel will never change
state if i don't put any packets in the channel (or am i reading something
wrong here)? i would like to have an error model whose remainLen_ is
specified in terms of simulation time, not packet lengths. does an error
model exist that does something similar or would i have to write my own
(using 'TimerHandlers')?

thanks,
neeraj