[ns] Huge amount of traffic in simulation?

I have some problems with the huge amount of random traffics simulation.

For a 50 nodes backbone simulation, every node(with agents) needs to
produce a huge amount of random (or possion distri.) traffics to random
destinations.  Also, each traffic holding time is also random.  Two ways I
can go:

1. Each traffic corresponds to an agent pair (traffic sitting on), like
   "agent-gen.tcl" script, but the problem is a huge amount of agent pairs
   have to be created and attached to nodes.  It probably exceeds the
   limit of node's port number soon.  Seems impossible?

2. Using one traffic to simulate multiple traffics.  Only create one agent
   (like UDP) and one traffic (like CBR) for each node, and manage to control
   the traffic to start and stop randomly.  I need modify the traffic...

Does anyone has the similar experience?  Which way is better? or some
other better one? Any hints will be appreciated.

Bo Wen