Re: [ns] Loss models in wirelss

>We're trying to simulate the loss patterns of wireless
>models, and up til now have been doing it using Markov
>models on wired links. We were wondering if there's a
>way of inserting loss patterns into wireless links, or
>if that is not exactly the intention of the wireless
>model in ns.

The loss modeles used for wireled links do not directly work with
wireless links, although it would be interesting to adapt them.
I do not know of a working source of "artificial" errors in wireless.

At least two kinds of "natural" errors exist in ns' wireless models:

- two nodes sending at the same time can cause the packets to be
lossed

- different propagation models can introduce propagation error.  The
basic model (TwoRayGround) has a deterministic, distance-based error.
Wei Ye's new Shadowing error model introduces a probabilistic,
distance-based error component.

Both these factors should be documented in the manual.

   -John Heidemann