Re: [ns] Wireless simulations

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:55:05 +0100, Claude Chaudet wrote:
>Before I go further in learning how to use ns, I would like to know how
>near (or far) from the real wold the wireless simulations in ns-2 are.
>I want to be sure that my results will still be accurate when I test
>it on a real 802.11 network (if I get one one day...).

This isn't a simple question to answer.
All simulators abstract some parts of what's going on and
simulator other parts with more detail.

Some of us (John Heidemann, Nirupama Bulusu, Jeremy Elson, Chalermek
Intanagonwiwat, Kun-chan Lan, Ya Xu, Wei Ye, Deborah Estrin, and
Ramesh Govindan) put together the paper "Effects of Detail in Wireless
Network Simulation" that discusses this question in more detail.  See
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PAPERS/Heidemann01a.html> for a copy.

   -John Heidemann