[ns] windows release for ns-2.1b8a

We would like to announce a modified version of ns-2.1b8 that builds under
windows.  This verison is exactly like the 2.1b8a release, but with
patches to compile with MS Visual C++ version 5.0 & above.

We were not able to run the validation script under Windows because of
problems with Cygwin awk, so users are advised to use this release
with caution.

The ns-2.1b8a-win distribution is available both from ns's build-page at
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html and directly from
http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/dist. There is also a pre-built binary
ns-2.1b8a.exe available from the build page.

Please visit http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-win32-build.html for
instructions on how to build ns under windows. It also describes the
problem we faced with Cygwin utilities while running shell scripts from
Windows.

We don't expect to make any additional patch releases to ns-2.1b8. However
feedback from regular Windows and Cygwin users is encouraged as we would
like to have operational validation tests there.

As usual, please send all your comments/bug-reports to [email protected].

Thanks,
--Padma Haldar
Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar