[ns] RED min_th

Hi all
I read somewhere (but forgot as to where) that the RED
minimum threshold must be set the following way:

min_th =
avg time you want pkt to wait in queue X (linkspeed/pkt size)

How valid is this?
RED paper states that min_th must be set large enuf to allow
link utilization to be maintained at a high level.
So for FTP traffic could some one give me a math expression
like the one given above for determining min_th (if there is
any).

thanks
ms.