[ns] Questions about ns-2

Hy,
    I'm a PhD student at CTU in Prague and I'm working with OPNET
Modeler now. Please, could someone give me a basic description about
ns-2, what is different between this two softwares. I know ns-2 is free.
But I mean for example:

1/ How difficult is make the simulation, if I have the real code. It
means that I have the program code written in C in the final devices.
Simulators usually run an independent specification of network code,
rather than the code used in real networks. Therefore the develope time
is longer and some mistake could be done.

2/ Is ns-2 divided into some modules such as Network domain, Node,
Process. And for specification is used normal C code or FSM (Finite
state machine)?

3/ I read it is possible connect real traffic when the simulation is
running. Do I understand well?

Thank you very much for your help.

                        Ondrej Dolejs

Ing.Ondrej Dolejs