Re: [ns] Hierarchical Routing Implementation question

The hierarchical routing was implemented on top of ns's default routing
strategy which is unicast static routing, where all routes are computed
centrally. There are other unicast routing implemented in ns like DV, LS.
you can take a look at ns-manual chapter on unicast routing for details.

--Padma

 On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Gaurav Navlakha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking at ns version 2.1b7a.
>
> I have a question on hierarchical routing in particular, and the routing
> implementation in general, in NS.
>
> The functions for calculating the hierarchical routing routes all seem to
> be 'centralized' in the file route.cc and route.h
>
> My question is:
>
> Does NS calculate all the routes (according to the specified hierarchy of
> nodes) centrally, and do each of the 'node's just look up the route in
> this central location in order to route packets? (As opposed to each node
> implementing the routing protocol by sending routing updates to each of
> the neighboring nodes, and using these updates to calculate the routes)
>
> If yes, then does NS not simulate the actual sending of routing update
> messages between routers at all (in both normal, and hierarchical routing)
>
> I wish to implement a "different" Hierarchical Routing Protocol in NS
> in order to compare it with the existing one (perhaps). But I'm not sure
> if NS was also built with spec-conforming implementations of Routing
> Protocols such as OSPF, BGP, etc.. that could be tweaked/replaced by other
> routing protocols to study comparative performance.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Gaurav.

>  Gaurav Navlakha
>  Graduate Student
>  Computer Science
>  University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign.

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar