[ns-2] Re: help

Hi Dapeng,

> Would you please point me out if there is any ATM module in ns1 or ns2
> or I should program ATM module by myself?

ATM and the MBone are not compatible. For example, the MBone is a datagram
service, whereas in ATM, the network must be informed upon call setup. It
then finds a route to the destination(s) and might reserve resources (at
least if service requested is not UBR).

As ns-2 imitates the Internet/MBone, it cannot handle ATM-traffic. I don't
know, however, how much effort is being put into the simulation of IPv6
right now. Still working connectionless, with IPv6 you have for example the
possibility of establishing flows (i.e. short-lived reservations of
bandwidth that expire all by itself). Like this, IPv6 is a little bit
closer to ATM.

You won't find any implementations of the ATM-layers (ATM, SAR, CPCS, SSCS,
...) nor any protocols for call-setup, routing protocols, UNI and
NNI-implementations, etc. in ns-2.

To integrate ATM into ns-2 would mean to _completely_ re-write it.

    -Chris.