Re: pareto and exponential traffic sources

Vince,

The idea of warmup is to discard transient data collected during the
start of the simulation.  The concept is not specific to any particular
source models, and it can be applied to any simulation.  The length
of the warmup period can be a function of the parameters of a simulation
(including but not limited to source models).

Jain's "The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis" has
a discussion of warmup (which he refers to as "initial data deletion")
and other methods for dealing with startup transients.

Lee