RE: ns-2 installation

I just got everything up and running under Irix 6.4 today.  It took me about
a week of off-and-on tinkering with it (there was lots of infrastructure
work to do, as well as other distractions), and unfortunately I didn't keep
notes as carefully as I should have.

You'll need GCC and GNU make (gmake), since SGI doesn't ship a C++ compiler
with the box (if you've purchased theirs, I'm interested in whether or not
ns builds with it), and their make won't parse all of the make files
properly (resulting in some pretty strange errors during build).

I believe you'll need to get the most recent nam and ns, and maybe TclCL.

You *might* run into problems building nam with complaints about the
ANSI_ARGS in the tk.h include file.  Those disappeared for me when I got a
new version of nam, but it's also possible that a slight shift in the
include directories solved it (there are reportedly known gcc
incompatibilities with some of the Irix include files if you're not
careful).

A useful URL for gcc is http://www-it.et.tudelft.nl/~erik/gcc/

Sorry these notes are even rougher than the ones for Red Hat 5.1.

			--Rod

P.S. Now that I have it installed, it passes its own test suite, but many of
the examples in tcl/ex fail.  Most of those that fail die with an error
similar to

ns: _o72 recv {uncongested 0.050xxxxx}: divide by zero
	while executing
"expr 1.0 / (1.0 / $delta + 100)"

Have I goofed in the installation some way, or is this actually a problem?
rc.tcl, fq.tcl, fq-cbr.tcl all fail this way.  simple.tcl, which fails
outright under Linux for me, runs under Irix but produces an empty graph
when it runs ns.