OTcl 1.0a3 typo fix (was Re: OTcl 1.0a2 typo fix)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, John Heidemann wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 18:04:48 BST, Lloyd Wood wrote:
> >Building OTcl 1.0a2 with Tcl 7.6 here to replace 0.96; given the
> >errors I'm getting compiling the current nam snapshot, I'll try
> >anything...
> >
> >line 463 of otcl.c (in amongst compiler directives setting different
> >error info for Tcl 7.x/8 - not tested with 7.x?):
> >
> >  Tcl_AddErrorInfo(int, msg);
> >
> >should in all probability be the more sensible:
> >
> >  Tcl_AddErrorInfo(in, msg);
> >
> >However, later errors concerned with Tcl_Namespace and
> >Tcl_NamespaceDeleteProc (lines 2040 and 2130 of otcl.c) appear to
> >explicitly require Tcl 8.0; they're not dummied in the
> >version-specific stuff up top of otcl.c.
>
> Your line numbers don't match what I see in
> <http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/dist/otcl-1.0a3.tar.gz>,
> and I don't see the "int" problem in that code.

line 474 in otcl 1.0a3.

> Please check to make sure you have the same code was was released.

Aha! First off, I downloaded 1.0a*2* yesterday via the link 'newer
version of otcl 1.0a2' on
http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns-problems.html

That had led me to believe that 1.0a2 was still current, since I
thought the 'Installation problems and bug fixes' page was the most
up-to-date of all your webpages... you might want to update that link.

Building 1.0a3 on Solaris with Tcl7.6. The int parse error I describe
above is now at line 474.

gcc also complains about the C++ // comment in a .c file at line 1102,
and then complains that Tcl_Namespace and Tcl_NamespaceDeleteProc
are undeclared at lines 2027 and 2117, as before.

> However, the namespace code is in what was released (at line 2116)
> and probably must be ifdef'ed out for tcl-7.6.
>
> We would like for otcl to support tcl-7.6,
> but I think all VINT machines use 8.0 now.
>
> The changes to make otcl work with 7.6 should be easy
> (just put #if TCL_MAJOR_VERSION >= 8 around the namespace code),
> so if you want to try back-porting it, please let me know.

Attempting that, I can get libotcl.so to build, but nothing else. wish
and the rest don't turn up in the directories specified by INST_OWISH
etc.

Since ns 2.1b3 requires otcl 1.0a3, which appears to require tcl and
tk 8.0, I suppose my only option is to go build tcl/tk 8.0.

Cheers,

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>PGP<[email protected]>