Re: active networking in ns

Guillermo,

Could you please send me, or post to the list in case you judge more people might
be interested, the initial messages that lead to this thread? (the first message
I got is yours, which is already a reply to a reply).

Are you talking about PANAMA's AN package for ns (Diane Kiwior)? I also studied
this implementation, but it looks quite specific to reliable multicast, and I
found it difficult to apply to a more generic context.

Therefore I started working on a generic implementation of Active Networking in
ns, which is intended to be as simple&stupid as possible, while fitting the goals
of enabling generic active network packets to be transmitted and executed, using
the IP-like packet forwarding model of ns. My simulation does not require
modifying the classifier for the moment, although I guess that for optimisation
purposes I'll probably end up by doing it.

What I do is to define "execution environment" agents (implemented as a subclass
of Agent/Message) that send "capsules" among themselves. These "capsules" are
simply Agent/Message packets in which the "message" is the code to be executed.
For the moment the code I send is only the name of a tcl procedure followed by
parameters (therefore code loading/caching is not simulated). Using this it is
surprisingly simple to implement typical AN examples such as ping, multicast,
etc.

For the moment I solve the routing problem by having the execution environments
"cheat": they look at the global ns static routing tables to find the next "EE
hop" on the path towards a destination EE. A more elegant solution would be to
deploy an active routing protocol using IP as the link layer, but since I don't
need sophisticated routing at the moment, I can live with the "cheating"
solution. The drawback of this solution is that I cannot benefit from IP
multicast, so the multicast trees are not optimal, the same as when using MBONE
tunnels.

If you and/or other people are interested I am glad to make my implementation
available, but in this case I need some time to prepare a neat version for
distribution...

Lidia.