header size in ns

Hello, all
I am doing simulation using DSR in ns-2.
I am trying to add some extra info in the source route header. so I also
modify th hdr_sr::size() to count the extra filed in sr_addr. BUt the
simulation behaves wierd after I made those change. If I only change( add
a field to) the sr_addr which is included in hdr_sr, but did not change
hdr_size(), which I think it is not right, but the simulation seems
working ok.
So I am wondering what change I need to make when I add some field in
packet header, i.e. hdr_sr. Do I need to change hdr_sr::size()? Is it to
count the size of the route header?

Your any comments would be very helpful and appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
yan